Tuesday 30 December 2008

Studio IV the Phoenix rises ...

I've saved the good news for the New Year! I'm looking forward to working in my studio. Life brings you some unexpected events that can be very challenging. I believe that you need to spend your energy rebuilding rather than wasting time in regret.

As you walk in the front door and look to your left, you see my 'Phoenix Rising'. The legend tells of unique bird that rises from the flames and brings new beginnings. He won viewers choice in a guild challenge.As you look anti-clockwise, you will see the big storage unit.My desk is an 'L' shape with lots of natural light. I have a large table padded for ironing. The wall behind the desk will be a design wall.And, turning again you will see my new frame (10 feet long set-up) with the Innova quilting/sewing machine. The Innova is made by ABM, an industrial sewing machine company. I have yet to start a practice piece. You can see the product here:
http://abminternational.com/innova-long-arm-quilting-machine.php
My 'Sunburst' is a wholecloth painted quilt with dense stitching. It has been in two juried shows. As well as the five windows that are south facing, there is a sliding door on the east wall. There is a 8' x 30" closet with mirrored doors and metal shelves holding my fabrics, etc.
My 'Cool Dude' ran second in the viewer's choice in a 'black, white and one colour challenge'. He was inspired by a greeting card. the tiger is raw and hairy. The vegetation is done with bobbin work and applique from the back. The butterfly is made with the challenge fabric.The little kitchen reminds me of an apartment kitchen. We are ready for tea!
The kitchen no longer has a stove top. I am purchasing a one burner induction unit that can be plugged into an ordinary outlet and can be moved to the picnic table for uses like boiling corn. We added a small fridge. The pass-through has been eliminated and is replaced by a window.The saddest loss was of our big ginger pussy-cat. My cousin made me a clock in his image. So ... Scampy will continue as studio 'snooperviser'. Debbie's work can be seen in about 50 major galleries across Canada and on line: http://www.madaboutglass.com/

No comments: