Tuesday 17 September 2013

Summer snaps ...

Dragonflies and tadpoles ... local wildlife and the Secret Garden!







Baby Hummingbird ... we have a family that returns every year.
Our summer twins!
Dragonflies are a symbol of Long Life!


scary little guy!
My summer was a strange one ... I broke my ankle ... dislocated and compound fracture!

Quilters do it with drama ... eight quilty friends and I went on a 3 day get-a-way on Pitt Lake. The lake is a long and narrow with no roads, the only access is by boat. The cabin was a bit rustic, but warm and welcoming. We had a great time: sun printing, stenciling, hand work and a lot of laughing. We hiked, feasted and went on a boat excursion to the end of the lake. the photos of native petroglyphs, towering cliffs covered in lichen and moss are all inspiration for future quilt art. 

A wonderful time was had by all! Until ... I slipped in a wet step and broke my ankle. Nothing funny about that, we had to call 911 to get the Maple Ridge Search and Rescue to pick me up. Here is the stranger than fiction part. Our guild had a quilt show in May and we earned $1800 on our raffle quilt. This we donated to the M.R. search and Rescue and this was their largest donation ever. So, as you can imagine, I received excellent care. I was their first rescue in their new boat. As we pulled away, a large bucket of homemade chocolate chip cookies were passed to the seven young men in the rescue crew. The rain clouds parted for the 30 minute trip, an ambulance was waiting to take me to the hospital. 

The diagnosis: compound fracture and 12 weeks with no weight on my foot. Those of you who know me understand what a challenge that is. Friends have made it easier with visits and emails to distract me. My husband is doing a great job of spoiling me. It could be worse!

Moral of the story? Take care and watch your step! Sent from my beautiful courtyard where I sit and watch the roses bloom. Perhaps it was time for me to slow down and smell the roses.
the cast ... temporary ... before the operations

No comments: