Wednesday 19 May 2010

Silk Fusion

At the CQA/ACC Quilt Canada in Calgary, I took a course from Maggie Vanderweit. It was a great class, she encouraged us to play & discover. Maggie is below, with one of her little landscapes. The ones below are mine. This one has an under layer of yak mixed with silk and the top is silk roving that was woven.This was the first one I did. The grid pattern is from the plastic screen. I pulled my fibres out to get filmy edges.This was fun! Below: bits of yellow and purple worked into the red and threads added to give texture. I will probably add stitching and beading.Below I put Magnolia skeleton leaves between the layers. The photos were taken with grey paper in the background. These pieces will probably be mounted on fabric backgrounds. They range from 8"x8" to 8" x 12". This one is my favorite. I put an embroidered butterfly in by spreading a thin layer of the silk fibres to hold it in.The process is fairly simple: first you take some lovely silk fibres and arrange them on a plastic screen, then put a second screen on top. Second: wet the layers well with water that has a little liquid soap in it and then squeeze out the liquid. Third: add fabric medium which acts like a glue. Forth: allow to dry.
There are lots of ways you can use these techniques in your creations!

4 comments:

Harrigansturf said...

Hi Madam
I have read and saw your blog. it has amazing picture and the Calgary is too beautiful that i have no world world for that.the Landscaping in Calgary will sure add the value in your Calgary...

Gloria said...

Hi Vivian!

The class looked like alot of fun! I especially loved the blue one with the leaves. Thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

Beautiful Vivian! You always amaze me. They would look beautiful as wall hanging or whatever.

Vivien Zepf said...

You don't need to do anything else to bind the fabrics together like needlefelting?